Looking for a fulfilling volunteer opportunity? Love people, plants, gardening, and the environment? We invite you to volunteer at the Gardens! We offer lots of fun and exciting volunteer opportunities for people in all walks of life. Meet interesting new people, build on your current interests, and develop new skills while giving back to the community – all while serving in a beautiful environment.
Some of the vital positions volunteers fulfill at the Gardens are listed below:
- Greeter - Greet visitors in the Welcome Center and distribute self-guided tour maps.
- Golf Cart Driver – Give guests a ride through the Gardens on a golf cart while sharing information about its history. Requirements: All golf cart tour guides must be 18 years old, have a driver's license and attend the proper training.
- Model Train Garden Conductor – Operate and help maintain the Garden “G” Scale Railroad.
- GEM (Garden Essential Maintenance) - Help with day-to-day plantings, weeding, and watering.
- Gift Shop Assistant - Assist the staff in the Gift Shop by straightening merchandise, dusting shelves, and helping customers.
- Tea Server – Set the table for teatime, serve guests, or brew tea during our English-style teas.
- Docent – Share your general knowledge of plant life and love for the Gardens by leading group tours through the 210-acre botanical garden. Classes required.
- Office Assistant –Aid office staff with a variety of tasks, including preparation of large mailings.
- Special Events Helper – Provide support to staff during special events like our Fall Plant Sale.
- Petal Pusher – Use your flower arranging talents to create floral displays for our special events.
- Birding Support – Indulge the many wild birds on the property by filling and maintaining their feeders.
- Holiday Lights Helper – Make the holidays merrier by helping us prepare for and implement our biggest special event, the Lights on the Landscape display. This is a huge undertaking that requires lots of volunteer assistance. There are a multitude of jobs from checking lights and setting up displays to greeting, driving golf carts, and serving hot chocolate.
Training is provided for all positions. If you have a specialized skill that you feel would benefit the gardens, contact the volunteer coordinator by calling 501-262-9603 or by email at email@example.com
. Click here
to obtain an application (PDF document) to apply for a Volunteer Position.
“I really look forward to coming out here. It’s a neat place.”
– Guy Watkins, cart driver
“I’ve met a lot of nice people and learned a tremendous amount about gardening in the South.”
- Linda Doherty, GEM
“I can’t think of anything else I want to be a part of as much as Garvan Woodland Gardens.”
– Ellie Elsenheimer, cart driver